Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Worst News

I never dreamed that LD would ever have a life threatening disease, bad things happen to someone else or on tv. Everyone knows that!

It is cancer....squamous cell carcinoma. His knotty neck is full of horrible, nasty cancer cells. (I will not give cancer the respect of capitalizing it's c. Not that it really cares or is even insulted, cancer's going to live where it wants to whether I capitalize or not.) Moving on.........Have you ever heard this phrase "I have cancer" from a loved one, friend, acquaintance? If you're like me, the moment you hear those words, it's like someone has just kicked you in your stomach. Of course, the days and weeks before the results came in, my stomach was tied up in knots....the pun is intended. I can't even begin to imagine what my husband was going through.
Ahhh but remember back after the CT Scan?? The radiologist's report said it definitely was not that nastiness of a disease, so my husband probably wasn't expecting to hear "cancer". I know that he truly believed it was something else, because after all, the professional's findings reported it wasn't cancer. So, if there needs to be a moral of this paragraph, it is even professionals can get it wrong. That's why we have second opinions. Don't be afraid to get one.

Back to that day, February 23, 2012, the day after LD's birthday. I will always remember watching him drive up to the house, walk slowly out to the back yard where I was sitting on the swing and then our daughter walking to us, already tearing up. Our lives are now changed forever........it seems that everything was moving in slow motion. The words that I didn't want to hear came out and I couldn't do anything to stop them..............It is definitely cancer.
A few minutes of our daughter crying, me in shock and the three of us hugging in the middle of the back yard, my senses finally came back to me. I started asking questions. What kind of cancer? How far along is it? What were his suggestions on how to get rid of it? CAN we get rid of it?.

No comments: